Tuesday, June 13, 2017

R & R With Rachel (Rants and Raves with Rachel): Being a Catcher is Physically Challenging

Although I play softball on a non-competitive league, which is perfect for me because I am not a competitive person, I still want to play my best. I am one of my team's catchers. This is a position I enjoy but is physically demanding on my body. My job, even in a fun league, is much more than simply catching a pitched ball and returning it to the pitcher. As a catcher I must be strong enough and prepared for the physical demands of the sport. During the course of a game catchers can squat and stand over 100 times. A catcher must also be able to move laterally and explode out of a squat to track down balls. To do all this a workout program needs to involve improving strength and agility. Although I will be doing the exercises that follow to improve my technique as a catcher they are good for anyone to perform.

Lower-Body Plyometrics
Lower-body plyometrics is an effective way to build explosive leg power.

1. Crouch down and jump as high as you can.

2. Repeat this 10-20 times.

Side Lunges
Side lunges will help strengthen the muscles a catcher needs for lateral movement.

1. Stand with your hands on your hips, take a step to the right.

2. Keep your toes pointed forward.

3. Extend the left knee, driving your weight to the right, flexing the knee and hip into a side lunge.

4. Maintain good posture through the entire spine, keeping your head and chest up.

5. Go to the right 5 times and then switch legs, repeating the exercise on the left side 5 times.

Squats
Squats are an exercise that builds leg power, which catchers need during a game, and to endure a full season behind the plate.

1. To perform a squat, stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart and bend your legs until your thighs are about parallel to the floor.

2. Hold this position for about 20 seconds.

Have a look at our previous blog "Squats with a Kick" for a visual reminder of how to do a squat.

Throwing Exercise
This is one of the most important drills for softball catchers.

1. Start by crouching in a catching position at home base. 6-8 balls should be laid out about 15 feet in front of you.

2. Running towards the balls, picking one up and throw it to a randomly picked base (if you are with another person they can call out what base you should throw it to) .

3. Run back to home base.

3. Repeat this process until you run out of balls to throw.

No comments:

Post a Comment