Thursday, June 12, 2014

R & R with Rachel (Rants and Raves with Rachel): My Love Affair with Sneakers

So I admit it. I love sneakers. I have many pairs. Oh, not as many as I have seen some people photograph, but many more than most of my friends feel is necessary (FYI: According to the Guinness Book of World Records the largest collection of sneakers consists of 2,388 pairs and is owned by Jordy Geller from Las Vegas, Nevada). I have sneakers for running, walking (both in the warm and cool weather), for playing paddleball and going to the beach. I have sneakers that never leave the house and are used solely for exercising in our home gym. I also have a variety of sneakers in various colors and patterns just for hanging out. I am not brand loyal and have had many favorites through the years. Listed alphabetical so as not to show partiality to the sneakers currently in my closet, some of the company’s whose footwear currently adorn my feet are: Adidas, Asics, New Balance, Nikes, Reebok, Saucony and Under Armour.

For many years I loved Gel Kayano’s by Asics. Next, I love, love, loved a pair of Lance Armstrong Nike’s. They made me feel fast, like Lance Armstrong, with or without his taking performing enhancing drugs. They were black with a bright yellow Nike symbol. They were a funky color combination before funky sneakers were in style. When they were too worn down to run in I graduated them to gardening sneakers. Eventually, they became too ragged even for that activity. I donated them to the Nike Reuse a Shoe program where they have been recycled into a playground or basketball court somewhere. If anyone knows their whereabouts please let me know so I can visit! I searched and searched for another pair of these sneakers, but to no avail (if any Nike staff member happens to be reading this blog I wear a size 8 ½).

When the Reebok Runtones debuted I bought a pair thinking they might make my calves sexy (Reebok was touting that they toned your calves). Well, they didn’t seem to help with that, but they did seem to help with my Morton’s Neuroma that I have in my left foot. Morton’s Neuroma involves a thickening of the tissue around one of the nerves leading to your toes. It causes a sharp, burning pain in the ball of your foot. Your toes also may sting, burn or feel numb. So, I was very sad when they were pulled from the market (because they were found not to tone the user’s calves). Recently however, I was in the Reebok outlet and guess what?! They are back! They are no longer being sold as a means to tone your calves but just as the wonderful sneakers they are. I bought 3 pairs just in case they are pulled from the Reebok collection in the future.

So there you have it, I could go on telling you more stories about my sneakers (I actually wrote a story for school when I was a kid about a sneaker, that I might have to share with you some time in the future) but I will end here. I did want to mention before signing off however, one key thing about my sneakers – I wear them all. I would be unable to rationalize spending money on them if I didn’t actively use them. So while I am not endorsing going out and starting a sneaker collection like I have, I am suggesting finding the thing that helps motivate you to get and stay active. Maybe it is an actual item, a particular person (my wife is a key player in helping me stay motivated) or maybe it is just something in your head! Whatever it is.....walk on my friends, walk on!

A photo of some of my sneakers

No comments:

Post a Comment