Friday, April 27, 2018

R & R with Rachel (Rants and Raves with Rachel): I am now a Spartan!

This past Saturday (April 21st) was the Citifield Spartan. While training I had started thinking I made a mistake in signing up because there were many obstacles that I would never be able to do. But I truly had a blast!

I was successful in many obstacles. I knew I had strength so slam balls, jerry cans, the sand bag carry and the atlas carry were no big deal at all. I also did well with military hurdles (once I got the hang of them), box jumps (although it was the last obstacle of the day and I was very tired by then), and the a-frame cargo (my favorite), to name a few. Running up and down a gazillion stairs was no problem either.

I also knew that no amount of training would get me over an 8 foot wall or enable me to climb a rope. I just don't have the upper body strength necessary. I did do the first wall climb with the help of my friend but after that I ran a conservative race. I did not want to take a chance and get injured dropping after the wall jump (remember, I am now training for a marathon!) so, 15 burpees for failing. In total I did 60 burpees for missing 3 wall climbs and the rope climb. In all honesty I should have done a total of 90 as I also missed the the spear throw and the rings but 60 was all the burpees I had in me!

So, would I do another Spartan??? Well, despite the obstacles I couldn't complete I had a great day. I was able to do many obstacles. The weather cooperated, I was able to intermittently hang with friends and family members, we had two awesome spectators cheering us on (my wife and a friend), and no one in our group of 9 got hurt! So yes, after I run the NYC Marathon in November I would definitely consider another Spartan. I would also recommend a "Stadium Spartan" to anyone who is a baseball fan as they take place in different ballparks and you get to see areas that a regular fan would not be able to access. Although, if you are not into running endless stairs I would simply recommend taking a stadium tour and you will see the same sights! LOL

Some photos from the day:

Sandbag Carry

A-Frame Cargo

Military Hurdle

Our Group of Proud Finishers!

No comments:

Post a Comment